Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A Different Streptocarpus 'Noreen'

 A different 'Noreen' for our consideration!

Patty says, "This is the first bloom from my 'Noreen'. I think it's still sort of small but since it's still alive, I'm improving (on Strep growing)."

"It's not been repotted yet, it's growing in my shelf in the coolest room beside my cold growing orchids and it's not in a dome. I'm bottom watering it once a week and fertilizing maybe every 2 weeks."

My question to everyone was: Does culture make a difference in how the plant looks as far as blossom color and leaf color etc? Patty says, "I think fertilizer may make a difference about the size of the flowers, but I think it has nothing to do with the difference in color. Color is more likely to be changed according to temperature. So, since we talked, I've reset my thermometer so I could see my temperatures in that shelf for the last few days. My lowest temp. was 64 deg. F. and the highest 75 deg. F." She also says, " Now, another interesting fact; I'm attaching a picture that I took today besides the picture I took 3 days ago, and when you look and compare the flowers, you'll see my flower grew and it is less dark too, so it faded a little, and this is something that also happens with some orchids, like some of my tolumnias and aerangis  will open more like a cream, yellowish color and then after a few days will become white... why??? I don't know....

So, again.... comments. Note that Patty's flower has much more defined lines and stripes and the yellow of the throat patch might be darker too. Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment