Sunday, March 11, 2012

Super Drainage Idea? What Do You Think?

 One of the local hardware stores is closing to remodel and I got these two nifty little PVC pipe pieces for $.35. I was thinking that it would make an easy way to make the center of my pot easy to fill with what ever amendments I'd like to add.
 Really just putting in a smaller Dixie cup does about the same thing (double potting) but this seemed like it could work even slicker. And, since I got the cute little pipe segment with a cover, why not try it out?
 I filled the area around the pipe with some regular potting mix.










I patted down the soil a bit.
I took off the cover, leaving a hole to fill with whatever I thought I wanted to experiment with.
 Grabbed some giant perlite...
filled the hole, and then eased the pipe up and filled it in a little more.











Had my work inspected.... This is very important!
 This is what it looked like, a nice pot with a core of super perlite.
I watered the entire pot of soil and perlite and let the excess moisture drain off.
 Had the inspector inspect things again.... (so many inspections!)
 Wouldn't tubers, which are prone to rot if kept too moist (especially when dormant) or plants that require excellent drainage like this set up? Of course you would have to have a few roots started so that they settle into the surrounding soil, but for example purposes this photo shows what I'm trying to get across.
I find that unless you are a very attentive grower, sometimes things don't always get watered at the optimum moments. Plants in an extremely light mix sometimes get too dry very quickly. This damages the root hair and although the plant might not die, it's not going to perform at it's optimum best either.

Some plants that produce tubers or rhizomes like a moist soil for growth, but you have to pay attention to their needs and see that they don't stay too wet, otherwise tubers rot.

What would a set up like this likely do? This might keep the plant extremely well drained but allow the roots to take up all the moisture they require from a soil mix that might otherwise be considered "heavy" for what you're planting.

So??? Will this work??? Have you tried it on other things??? I'd love to start a discussion...... Comments?????

No comments:

Post a Comment