Thursday, September 20, 2012

Part 2 of What's Bloomin' Today, Kohleria 'Ryskan, Cobananthus calochlamys, Gloxinia 'Dragon's Song' and Primulina tabacum

 This is a pretty cool bloom on Kohleria 'Ryskan'. It's' flower is shaped more like a Sinningia and is quite large for a Kohleria.
 It's got nice coloration and the blooms seem to stay fresh for quite a long time.













This is Cobananthus calochlamys. I'm still having trouble getting it to really take off... tried the regular shelf, tried the terrarium... how does anyone else get it to grow well???

 This is pretty cool also.... it's Gloxinia 'Dragon Song' growing in a terrarium. It seems to like the humidity. The flowers are smallish and on the tall spikes which looks sort of striking!
 I was especially taken with the toothed lower lobes of the flower. I'm sure that some hybridization would make for interesting offspring with the right mate for this.

Now I'm thinking of how much fun getting into hybridization would be......
 I don't know why, with all the plants in the world, that they have put the Primulina tabacum in with the gesneriads, but it's a gesneriad and here one is!

The foliage smells like most of the other gesneriads that have fragrant foliage though. I don't personally think the leaves smell anything like tobacco, but they do smell like the Sinningias that are fragrant. Sort of floral/vanilla.
I like the stripes in the flower!


Questions????


Comments????

PS: We are up to 21,400+ views of the blog! Club... help me out here... let's put some really good, informative posts up!!!!

1 comment: