Friday, December 30, 2011

Episcia Leaf Coloration

 This is a leaf from an Episcia. I was hoping to see something interesting when looking at the "hair" on the leaf surface and stem but it turns out that I found something else much more interesting!
 I wanted to see what it looked like when the Episcia's leaf transitioned from one color to another color on it's surface. Nothing much to see really, but...... but when I decided to slice a little section out of the middle of the leaf and look at the "thickness of the leaf" edge-on I found something I thought was super interesting!

 You will note in the first shot above that there is a dark line running along one surface of the leaf but not on the other.

This picture shows that same line running along the top surface, even over that lump (which is the mid vein section). The pigment in the Episcia leaf seems to run along ONLY THE TOP SURFACE!

This photo sort of lacks a bit of something.... but the darker areas of the leaf have the darkest pigment line (look to the left) and the lighter middle section has a much lighter pigment. I'm going to try cutting a few more Episcia leaves open when I get a few more Episcias. I think I might just have the one with light and dark shades as you can see in the very first picture.

Comments?????

No comments:

Post a Comment