Saturday, December 3, 2011

Peloric Streptocarpus, Sinningia bullata and Other Fun Stuff

 I'm so excited whenever this thing comes into bloom and I know I haven't killed it up good (yet).... This is a really pretty cool 6 petal, peloric Streptocarpus that I grew from a selfing of an unnamed Strep that was white with some pink throat lines. The original parent wasn't this handsome. This plant shows a much more defined 6 petal peloric pattern and a very nice bold center pattern.


 I'm not perfectly sure if the same plant throws up different flowers or if by chance two seeds just grew up together in the same pot and I've never separated it over the years. This past horribly hot summer almost saw the end of this particular plant but by some wonderful chance it's still alive. You can see that some of the other flowers have the 6 petal design, but not the symmetric markings.

 Not all that rare, but I enjoy the fact that I can get a Streptocarpella 'Concord Blue' to bloom indoors. Perhaps it finally has enough light!
 I'm going to see if I can take some pix over the course of the next few days and watch as this Aeschynanthus radicans opens it's flowers. I like the fuzzy blooms.
 My very favorite plants have some sort of weird attribute to them and this one gets my vote as fuzziest and most adorable to grow. It's a Sinningia bullata. Mine got all sprawly and lanky over the summer, but the newer brighter lights might just do this thing some good too. It's been notoriously hard to get to make babies from cuttings. It even made a small tuber from a leaf cutting but would not continue to grow.
 I might (and I emphasize might) be coming around to the charms of micro minis. This is Sinningia pusilla. It's a pretty small little plant but I guess it's cute. It grows in a terrarium and seldom gets too dry. The flowers are huge compared to the size of the plant.
 Now... here's something more worthy of admiration, in my humble opinion. It's a Eucodonia 'Adele'. This is unbelievably a cutting that is sitting in a jar of water getting roots (or not). It just keeps blooming. I've had tremendous success getting Eucodonia to root and make more plants at most any time of year. Although this rhizomatous plant probably should be dormant, mine seem to stay in growth mode for most of the year.

 Back to the Primulina tabacum flower. It gets its photo in the blog again because the flower is so cool.
Is it a chimera???
Ok, couldn't resist. It's a begonia. It's in a color that most of the gesies don't bother with and therefore had to be put in this post so that there was some of nature's best color represented. Seems begonias like fluorescent lights too.

How about comments???? Go ahead.... leave a few.... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment