Thursday, January 26, 2012

Streptocarpus 'Noreen' Project Plant Update 2


This is J O's project plant and the photograph doesn't do the plant justice. This, as you can see from the regulation tray it's sitting on is getting to be wonderfully large and long. It threw out quite a few blooms and it going to have two more bloom stems open soon.


The next three pix are of my plants. This is the one plant from the first update. it's out of bloom now but it's definitely filled in with more leaves and it's looking a pretty healthy shade of green although before I repotted it, it got quite dry in it's smaller sized pot and lost a couple of it's baby leaves.

 You might be able to spot it as the second plant on the left hand side. It's sister plant is the front one and it's in bloom as well. I'm mostly posting about just the specific plant I chose to follow through the photos, but curiously enough I was interested in what another of the 'Noreen' plants was doing.

This is a third (separate) 'Noreen' that I got about three weeks before I got the project plants. I crossed 'Guidelines x Emily' long ago (I think) and 'Noreen' is one of the seedlings. Neil's Streps (which you can find on eBay) was growing out some of the plants and agreed to supply the club with the "project plant babies" we started with. Neil's Streps also was a vendor at the AVSM Northtown Fall Show and Sale and this is the plant I acquired earlier in the month. Just those three extra weeks, or the fact that I repotted rather soon after acquiring it might have made the difference but this plant is (judging by the tray size again) getting HUGE!

I'm curious about a couple of things regarding this particular plant. I generally don't have a ton of success with my streps. They frequently are left to get too dry and my growing room is sometimes a bit on the warmish side (especially in summer). As we all know, Streps frequently seem to hate warm conditions. This is a plant that does happen to do well for me. Is it because I'm trying harder and paying more attention to it because it's one of my hybrids? Or because I don't want to be the first to kill off my project plant, with photo evidence and documentation of the crime, so that the club finds out what really happens to some of my plants.... or....

Or, is it because this is one of the seedlings that actually survived in MY conditions and therefore is somewhat adapted to dryer and more harsh conditions than some other hybrids? I'm wondering if there is a way to find out?

No comments:

Post a Comment