Sunday, January 15, 2012

Vanhouttea lanata: Not just your average Gesneriad

I had a really wonderful surprise yesterday when I went into the plant room. Look at the bright cheerful little thing that was blooming!!!

Ron Myhr with his incredible Gesneriad Reference Web says this about the Vanhouttea: "This unusual gesneriad grows tall and rangy, and has an unusual calyx form, where the calyx enfolds the flower bud in a manner similar to a bract, opening only to allow the flower to emerge."
 
For those of you who haven't already gotten very used to using the Gesneriad Reference Web as a fantastic(!!!) source of information, click on the words above and it will link you right to it.
I'm very interested to see if this plant will like my conditions of (mostly) benign neglect. It bloomed at quite a small size, although the description says it's a rangy shrub form, and perhaps with pruning and not too much pampering this will thrive for me! YAY! Really nicely colored flowers too. I'm wondering if it will inter-generically cross with anything else??? We might have an experiment here, stay tuned.

Comments????

No comments:

Post a Comment